Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Old Town Pasadena with a Non-fat Latte, Please.


Since I’m a Pasadenian (alongside being a diehard Los Angelena) you can frequently find me roaming the streets of Old Town located on the famous Colorado Boulevard (think Rose Parade and Rose Bowl). If you’re ever looking to spend some time in the ‘burbs, Pasadena is a great location to discover outside of Downtown.

And the city’s got it all: shopping (Tiffany’s, Urban Outfitters, Zara, and my favorite, Forever 21) for all you shopaholics, exquisite dining options (il Fornaio, Mi Piace, The Melting Pot, Sushi Roku and a zillion more! #YUM) and one of my favorite coffee spots, Intelligentsia.

Although I admit I can get a bit nerdy when it comes to schoolwork, being at home while in the process of writing an essay or studying for an exam is quite bland. I need a vibrant space with a non-fat latte to get my creative juices flowing. With this in mind, there is nothing like being in a coffee shop with an awesome atmosphere, contemporary music and scrumptious food. I know this describes about 80 percent of the coffee shops in L.A., but if you are a coffee-connoisseur like me, you should definitely stumble upon Intelligentsia. It’s got my seal of approval.

With locations all over L.A., Intelligenstia’s mission is to provide “customers, staff, and community with an unparalleled and complete coffee and tea experience in an environment steeped in understanding, knowledge, skill, service and mutual respect.” Pretty stellar description for a coffee shop – seems like they certainly mean business!

Along with their impressive selection of African and South American single origin beans and reviving espressos, Intelligentsia will leave you with a supreme experience. This company is extremely immersed in the bean production as well. A great example: Their “Extraordinary Coffee Workshop” brings together coffee growers who “have made a serious commitment to quality and create a forum where they are able to share knowledge.” Communication + coffee in the same sentence, I’m already swooning.

And the Intelligentsia in Pasadena is different than other Intelligentsia locations because of its unique cafe. Its novel addition, a “brewbar” -- an espresso machine that’s built into the bartop—is a place where delicious caffeinated-delicacies are prepared atop a counter that is over a 100 years old. Talk about being aged to serve perfection.

But what if coffee isn’t your cup of tea? Intelligentsia Pasadena can fulfill your beer and wine needs with a side of scrumptious small plates, themed dinners and charcuterie. During my visit, I enjoyed their organic granola topped with fresh berries and yogurt – a perfect dish to compliment my non-fat latte.

So, whether you a morning person looking for a place to get a head start on your day or a night prowler in search of a contemporary hang out, Intelligentsia Pasadena will cater to your lifestyle. Take your books and unwind with a delicious cup of South American coffee. Or take a date for a one-of-a-kind experience. I bet you’ll fall in madly LA-ve.